Name: Zhongming Zhao
Current Appointment: Professor, doctoral supervisor, Department of Remote Sensing Image Processing, Institute of Remote sensing and digital earth（RADI）, Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS).
PH.D, Computer Science, Department of Computer Science，Northwestern Polytechnical University, China, 1996
Master of Computer Application, Department of Computer Science，Northwestern Polytechnical University, China, 1988
Bachelor of Software, Department of Computer Science，Northwestern Polytechnical University, China, 1982
Areas of Specialization:
Specialize in research and development of remote sensing imagery processing such as image restoration, texture analysis and multi-source data fusion, making an intensive study of wavelet theory analysis additionally.
The main areas are as follows:
1. Image restoration
(1) For the first time, combined the EM algorithm with wavelet transform to propose multi-level parameter analysis based on blind signal identification and restoration algorithm with less parameters, higher identification accuracy and computational efficiency.
(2) Transformed the regularization solution for image restoration into wavelet regularization solution, at the same time transformed the constraints in the wavelet form. So the image restoration can be solved in the wavelet domain and treat different channels with different process according to actual situation.
(3) Presented a method of image decomposition with wavelet analysis, then converted the single-channel image restoration problem into multi-channel image restoration problem and reduced constraints of the overall image during restoration as a result.
2. Texture analysis
Applied wavelet transform to texture analysis and focused on space scale properties of texture. Proposed the concept of scale co-occurrence matrix, combined the gray space and scale space, proposed the concept of three-dimensional co-occurrence matrix which reflects both texture scale properties and texture space properties and applied the method to extract texture features. Results show that the texture features derived from three-dimensional co-occurrence matrix are better than those from only scale properties or space properties.
3. Data fusion technology of remote sensing
Proposed the remote-sensing image fusion method based on MRF(Markov Random Field), it can achieve remote-sensing image fusion from different temporal and different sensors, and image fusion of remote-sensing image and GIS data.
• Outstanding Young Scholar Award of Chinese Academy of Sciences
• “National Science and Technology Advancement Third Prize” for “Vibration digital signal processing library”
• “Science and Technology Advancement Second Prize, Ministry of Railways” for “Modern digital signal processing library”
• “Industrial Science and Technology Advancement Third Prize” for “Construction vibration signal analysis system”
• “Science and Technology Advancement Second Prize, Education Committee of Shaanxi Province” for “Color artifacts image management system”
• “Science and Technology Advancement First Prize，State Scientific and Technological Commission” for “Computer intelligent decision support system of Regional Power distribution design and management”
• “Industrial Science and Technology Advancement Third Prize” for “VCP-1 Chinese-English Translation typing System”
• Patent: Medical Infusion Alarm. Patent Number: ZL932214452
· Vice Chairman, Chinese Society for Stereology
· Chairman, Dept. Image Analysis, Chinese Society for Stereology
· Standing Director, China Society of Image and Graphics
Refereed Journal Articles:
 Wu Bin, Yang Jian, Zhao Zhongming, etc. Parcel-based change detection in land-use maps by adopting the holistic feature. IEEE JOURNAL OF SELECTED TOPICS IN APPLIED EARTH OBSERVATIONS AND REMOTE SENSING, DOI:10.1109/JSTARS.2013.2291773.
 Wang Zhongwu, Zhao Zhongming. Effects of registration residual in image fusion. Science of Surveying and Mapping. 2010.2
 Ma Jianglin, Zhao Zhongming, Peng Lin, Zhong Jianqiang. Texture Classification Study Based on Feature Fusion and Selection. Journal of Wuhan University of Technology(Transportation Science & Engineering). 2010.5
 Wang Zhongwu, Zhao Zhongming. Pan-sharpening Algorithm Based on Constrained Least Squares of Optical Remote Sensing Images. Remote Sensing Information. 2009.4
 Wang Wenjie, Zhao Zhongming, Zhu Haiqing. Object-oriented change detection method based on features fusion for high-resolution remote sensing image. Application Research of Computers. 2009.8
 Ma Jianglin, Zhao Zhongming, Wang Chengyi, Zhong Jianqiang. A New Unsupervised Texture Segmentation Method Using Gabor Wavelet. Geomatics and Information Science of Wuhan University. 2009.1
 Zhou Jieping, Gong Jianhua, Wang Tao, Wang Dongchuan, YANG Liyang, Zhao Xiangjun, Hong Yu, ZHAO Zhongming. Study on UAV Remote Sensing Image Acquiring and Visualization Management System for the Area Affected by 5·12 Wenchuan Earthquake. Journal of Remote Sensing. 2008.6
 Wang Zhongwu, Zhao Zhongming. Expanded Q4 Quality Assessment for Pan-Sharpened MultiSpectral Image, Geoinformatics 2008 and Joint Conference on GIS and Built Environment - Advanced Spatial Data Models and Analyses. Guangzhou, Peoples R China. June 28-29, 2008
 Wang Chengyi, Zhao Zhongming. Digital Surface Model Generation From LIDAR Data in Urban Areas. Computer Engeering. 2008.1
 Chen Fen, Zhao Zhongming. IEEE International Conference on System, Man, and Cybernetic . A Fast Two-Step Deblurring Method for Satellite Images. Singapore, October 12-15, 2008
 Yang Jun, Zhao Zhongming, Yan Jian. A Shadow Removal Method for High Resolution Remote Sensing Image. Geomatics and Information Science of Wuhan University. 2008.1
 Wang Chengyi, Zhao Zhongming, Du Yunyan. An Automatic Detection Method of Mesoscale Eddies from Satellite Image. Remote Sensing Information.2007.6
 Chen Renxi, Zhao Zhongming, Wang Yinxing, DEM Data Compression Based on Integer Wavelet Transformation. Geomatics and Information Science of Wuhan University, 2006.4
 Chen Zhong, Zhao Zhongming, Gong Peng, Zeng Bowen. A New Process for the Segmentation of High Resolution Remote Sensing Imagery. International Journal of Remote Sensing. November 20, 2006
 Chen Renxi, Zhao Zhongming, Pan Jing. A Fast Method of Vectorization for RS Classified Raster Map. Journal of Remote Sensing.2006.3
 Long Hui, Zhao Zhongming. Urban road extraction from high-resolution optical satellite images. International Journal of Remote Sensing. November 20, 2005
 Yan Dongmei, Zhao zhongming, Zhong chen. A Fused Road Detection Approach in High Resolution Multi-spectrum Remote Sensing Imagery, IEEE International Geoseience nad Remote Sensing Symposium(IGASS), 2005.7
 Ji Tongkai, Zhao Zhongming. The Theory to Evaluate the Image Spatial Resolution Quantitatively. Journal of Remote Sensing,2005.4
 Chen Zhong, Zhao Zhongming. A Multi-scale Remote Sensing Image Segmentation Algorithm Based on Region Growing. Computer Engineering and Applications, 2005.35
 Fen Chen, Zhongming Zhao, etc. “Clouds and Cloud Shadows Removal from High-resolution Remote Sensing Images”, IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS05), Seoul, Korea, July 2005
 Chen Zhong, Zhao Zhongmin,Yan DongMei,Chen Renxi. Multi-scale segmentation of the high resolution remote sensing image. IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium ， 2005. IGARSS 2005. In:Proceedings of the IGARSS 2005 Symposium. Seoul, Korea. July 25-29, 2005
 Yanfeng Wei, Zhongming Zhao, and Jianghong Song. Urban building extraction from high-resolution satellite panchromatic image using clustering and edge detection. IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium (IGARSS 2004), Anchorage Alaska, American, Sept. 2004
 Ma Jianwei, Zhao Zhongming, Song Jianghong. An Automatic Method of Area Change Detection Based on Histogram Matching and Morphological Operation in High Spatial Remote Sensed Imagery, IEEE International Conferences of Signal Processing(ICSP),Beijing, Oct.2004
 Ling Peng, Zhongming Zhao, Linli Cui, Lu Wang. Remote Sensing study based on IRSA Remote Sensing Image Processing System. 2004 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 2004.
 Yan Dongmei, Zhao Zhongming. Cloud-covered Segment Extraction Based on the Image Reconstruction Form the Low Frequency Branch of Wavelet Decomposition. Journal of Institute of Command and Technology.2001.8
 Zhao Zhongming, H. Sahli. Multiscale MRF model for texture analysis. VUB Technical Report. 1999, 2
 Zhao Zhongming, Zhu Chongguang. Image restoration based on wavelet. Chinese Journal of Stereology and Image Analysis. 1996(2):10-15
 Zhao Zhongming, Zhu Chongguang. Approach to Removing Cloud Cover from Satellite Imagery. Remote Sensing of Environment. 1996(11):195-199
Major Research Projects:
1.High Resolution Earth Observation Major Project (E0202/1112/0101): Research on fast detection of land use changed blocks, Project leader.
2.Internatioanl Science & Technology Cooperation Program of China (2012DFA20930): Core technology importation and cooperative research on changed block extraction for natioanl cultivated land resource management system, Project leader.
3.Enterprise Project: Multi-source remote sensing data processing system, Project leader.
4. Cooperation project of Chinese Academy of Sciences and locality: Cloud services platform development of Remote sensing image processing, Project leader.
20 Da Tun Road
People's Republic of China